MAC Roundup Week 8: Gabbert down, Ball State wins first FBS game, MAC East has a first place tie-up

Ball State Athletics
Ball State linebacker Sidney Houston Jr.

If you’re a fan of Andy Williams, or listening to Christmas music way too early, you know the tune. 

It’s the most wonderful time of the year: Midweek MACtion is finally within reach.  

But before we get there, we still have one more week of weekend MACtion to go, and there’s a giant logjam atop the MAC East.  

Mid-American Conference Standings, as of October 24, 2023 (courtesy of getsomemaction.com)   

SCHOOL  CONF  CPCT.  OVERALL  PCT.  HOME  AWAY  NEUTRAL  STREAK 
EAST DIVISION 
Miami  3-1  .750  6-2  .750  2-1  4-1  0-0  L1 
Ohio  3-1  .750  6-2  .750  4-0  2-2  0-0  W1 
Buffalo  3-1  .750  3-5  .375  1-3  2-2  0-0  W1 
Bowling Green  2-2  .500  4-4  .500  2-1  2-3  0-0  W2 
Akron  0-4  .000  1-7  .125  1-2  0-5  0-0  L6 
Kent State  0-4  .000  1-7  .125  1-2  0-5  0-0  L5 
WEST DIVISION 
Toledo  4-0  1.000  7-1  .875  4-0  3-1  0-0  W7 
Northern Illinois  3-1  .750  4-4  .500  2-2  2-2  0-0  W3 
Central Michigan  2-2  .500  4-4  .500  3-0  1-4  0-0  L1 
Eastern Michigan  2-2  .500  4-4  .500  4-0  0-4  0-0  L1 
Ball State  1-3  .250  2-6  .250  2-2  0-4  0-0  W1 
Western Michigan  1-3  .250  2-6  .250  2-1  0-5  0-0  L3 

Storylines: 

1. Miami’s Gabbert suffers gruesome lower body injury – Miami (OH) star quarterback Brett Gabbert is done for the year after suffering a leg injury late in Saturday’s loss to Toledo, according to Miami’s head coach Chuck Martin. Gabbert currently leads the conference in passing yards (1,634) and is tied with Toledo’s Dequan Finn for the conference lead in passing touchdowns (14). “it’s a blow, it’s a huge blow. You lose your starting quarterback in the late third quarter of the two biggest game stretch of the year, and you’re playing great football, he’s playing great football,” Martin said. “You should’ve, would’ve, could’ve think if he’s playing, you think you close it out on Saturday.” Miami’s next matchup comes on Saturday against Ohio, a team they share the top spot in the East with. Sophomore Aveon Smith, who came in for Gabbert against Toledo, will be the likely starter.  
  2. Cardinals finally cash in – Ball State picked up their first FBS and conference win of the 2023 season, a 24-17 victory over Central Michigan. Sophomore QB Kiael Kelly led the team to victory in his second start of the season, completing 13 of his 16 pass attempts for 234 yards. He carried the rock 15 times for 64 yards and two touchdowns. “I wish I could describe the feeling in the locker room. That’s why you do it, though. That’s why I do it,” Ball State head coach Mike Neu said after the team’s win. “That is special. All the hard work that you put into it, for the end result to be us almost tearing the ceiling off the locker room with how loud the fight song is. That’s what it’s all about. That feeling is second to none.”  
  3. Fight for the top of the East – Three teams currently lead the MAC’s East division. All three of them play this weekend, and two of them face off against each other. Ohio, Miami, and Buffalo all sit with 3-1 conference records, with the former two facing off at Peden Stadium in Athens on Saturday, while Buffalo is on the road at Toledo. “I like to think there’s a mutual respect between our programs,” Ohio HC Tim Albin said Monday. 

This weekend’s schedule: (courtesy of getsomemaction.com) 

Saturday, October 28, 2023 Football 
  Away  Home  Time  Location  Links 
  Western Michigan  Eastern Michigan  1:00 P.M.  Ypsilanti, Mich. (Conf.)  StatsESPN+ 
  Miami  Ohio  3:30 P.M.  Athens, Ohio (Conf.)  StatsCBS Sports Network