Taylor Dyson: From Manchester to Bowling Green

Drake Harlett

Taylor Dyson is a midfielder on the BGSU Men’s Soccer team from Manchester, England. The junior is one of the six international students on the roster.

So the question is, how does one journey from Manchester, to the United States?

“I spoke to an agency, and they got me in touch with people over here [United States]. I had my highlight tape from when I was a kid and had the accolades from playing at teams over in England. So, that conversation happened and I had conversations with different coaches and eventually, I landed in the States.”

Before becoming a Bowling Green Falcon, Dyson spent two seasons as a Falcon at Notre Dame College in Cleveland, at the Division Two level.

“It was a really good time, a really good group of guys. Freshman year was always a struggle, just coming into a new squad, big people, big influences on the team, but going into the second year I definitely felt like I had a impact on that team, and I grew. I became a captain there, I had a really good season, I love that college, nothing bad to say about that college but I felt like it was time to move on after that.”

Looking for a new challenge, Dyson hit the transfer portal at the end of the 2022 season.

A process, that can be very difficult.

“Honestly very stressful, transferring is such a short window in December, to come here in the spring. I spoke to Martin [Melchor] first, and then he put me in contact with Coach Nichols, and then we had a couple of Zoom calls, things like that. We spoke a lot, a lot of different things, things that he wanted, things that I wanted, and then I came here for the spring because we wanted to be ready for the fall.”

While playing at Notre Dame College, Dyson was named to the Division Two All-American first team – along with the United Soccer Coaches All-American second team.

But just how different is the Division Two level compared to Division One?

“So when I was at a division II school, I always thought ‘there’s no way it can be that different’, but honestly it’s a lot. Just from a professional standpoint, especially with the team’s culture as well, the team we got here are professional guys, they really take care of themselves. The way we lift, the way we train is a lot different then the old school.”

Growing up in England, Taylor played four years of high school soccer at St. Ambrose Barlow RC.

Along with Bowling Green and Norte Dame College, Dyson also played for Kings Hammer FC and Texas United in the United Soccer League two during the past two summers.

Experiencing the many styles and differences between American and English soccer.

“I feel like in England, there are a lot of older guys, more experienced guys, maybe some guys out of shape, maybe some young guys that are just coming up. But when I first came over here, I was like ‘There’s no way it could be as good as English football’, but honestly, settling down and playing, it’s very tough. You’ve got guys that are 18 to whatever age that are in prime condition, being taken care of, so it’s hard. A lot of athletes over here, and very good soccer players.”

Being an international student has its challenges.

For Taylor, adapting to a different style of soccer and being away from loved ones has been the hardest.

“Adapting to the football was hard at the start, adapting to everyone’s play styles as well. My old school had a lot of Portuguese guys, a lot of Brazilian guys, so just the way they played was a lot different to me. Especially coming to BG, the way we played, the system we played, I’ve never played in a 3-5-2 before. Just adapting to everyone else, and obviously family was hard, I’m a big family guy at home, and spent a lot of time with my parents, my dogs, and my brother, so that was definitely hard, but I have their support 100%.”

Every successful team needs players who will be leaders in the locker room, especially with a Bowling Green team that has a total of ten freshmen.

Dyson provides just that.

“I feel like I’m a leader on this team, honestly. I speak to all the guys with the same respect, I love to have a joke around, and when it’s time to get serious, we get serious.”

Despite it only being Taylor’s first season at Bowling Green, the Manchester native has enjoyed every moment being a part of this Falcons team.

Especially being a part of the program’s community and culture.

“Definitely the guys, and the community that we got backing us. At my old school, we didn’t really have many fans, but coming here, playing in front of kids that want your autograph, that know you by your name, that look up to you. The guys that are around every day, taking care of each other, having a good time, but also being really into soccer and taking care of themselves, that’s the best part.”