O’Hara strikes again in a 4-3 overtime loss

Drake Harlett

BGSU Hockey split their third series of the year, this time against Lake Superior State on Saturday in a 4-3 loss in overtime.

The Falcons started the night by scoring early at the hand of forward Owen Ozar, countered by a Laker goal from Reagan Milburn. Spencer Kersten filled the net in the 16th minute of the first period, taking an early lead into the first intermission. 

On both early goals, Ryan O’Hara had an assist, taking him to five points on the weekend. The starter tallied two assists, five shots, 2-2 of faceoffs, no penalties, a 2 +/-, and a game-tying goal in the late third period.

O’Hara advances to 10 points on the year (7 goals 3 assists), with three goals and two assists on the weekend. He earned first-star game honors on Friday and second-star game honors on Saturday. 

Outside of his contributions on Saturday, the Falcons struggled. 

The Falcons were outplayed heavily in the second. They were outshot in the period, even with two minor penalties. Two goals were scored in nine shots by Laker Superior State, one by Carter Batchelder in the fifth minute, as well as a goal with 30 seconds left in the period by leading Laker scorer Jared Westcott, who inevitably filled the game-winning goal in overtime. 

Additionally, the second was the worst period of the game for starting goalie Cole Moore. Moore allowed three goals in regulation two of which came out of the second period. He saved 7/9 shots for a .778 percentage, saving 34 shots for a percentage of .883 in the game. 

The faceoff game was still a strength for Bowling Green, giving them the opportunity to dominate possession in yet another game. The team won 36-66 faceoffs, led by Jaden Grant (14-19), Josh Nodler (6-11), and Spencer Kersten (8-16) despite being outshot 33-38. 

Bowling Green heads into practice Monday 1-3 in CCHA play as they begin preparing for a two-game home series against Northern Michigan on Nov. 24-25.