Williams introduced to Falcon hockey fans

Staff photos
Bowling Green hockey coach Dennis Williams met with fans Wednesday evening at Juniper Brewing Company.

New BGSU hockey coach Dennis Williams met with fans and supporters at Juniper Brewing Company last night.

Athletic Director Derek van der Merwe introduced Williams to the crowd of about 50 fans and Williams said while his career has taken him across the country, most recently as head coach of the Everett Silvertips of the Western Hockey League, Bowling Green remained on his radar.

“Everything led back to Bowling Green for me,” he said.

Williams engaged in a question and answer session with the fans, much of which focused on the way the team will play. While he emphasized that when it comes to shots on net he believes in “quantity over quality,” the team’s style remains to be seen, though he promised one particular trait will be evident.

“How are we going to play? I don’t know yet,” he said. “One thing I can promise you is we will be resilient for 60 minutes and we will be relentless on pucks.”

He also noted that unlike many other teams in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association, the Falcons didn’t lose a single player through the transfer portal. The two players the team brought in through the portal will make the team “bigger, older, stronger through the middle.”

Williams was named the program’s ninth head coach earlier this year, replacing Ty Eigner who was relieved of coaching duties in March after five years. Earlier this week, Williams announced he would retain Eigner’s assistant coaches, which includes Curtis Carr, Stavros Paskaris, Dylan Shoen, and Buddy Powers.

Puck drop for first home game of the 2024-25 season
Game on