Falcons shock Wildcats in dominant 6-2 victory

Jack Walsh

Bowling Green Hockey won their first home game in the CCHA on Friday night, coming at the expense of the Northern Michigan Wildcats. 

It’s safe to say BG dominated nearly every facet of the game, as they scored six goals, five in the third period, with more shots (43-37), more faceoff wins (38-19), and less penalties (28-18). 

Brody Waters scored two goals, one in the first period and another early in the third, bringing him to six goals on the season. He was accompanied by Seth Fyten, who scored his first two goals of the season (the last two goals of the game).

Brett Pfoh completed the game-winning third goal, followed by a long-range slap shot by Gustav Stjernberg that found the back of the net. 

Penalties were the turning point against the Wildcats and for the Falcons. 

NMU killed all 14 penalties but on three occasions allowed a goal within one minute of their player leaving the penalty box. Three of their top scorers spent four minutes in the box (Josh Zinger, Aiden Gallacher, and Tanner Latsch), while star forward Andre Ghantous was ejected with a 10-minute misconduct in the third period.

The Wildcats played 28 total minutes shorthanded, which allowed Bowling Green to do exactly what head coach Ty Eigner wanted them to do on the penalty kill. 

“We were outstanding on the kill again tonight,” said Eigner. “A bunch of guys blocking shots when we needed to which is contagious because the bench gets excited and the next guy gets out there and he wants to do the same.” 

The Orange and Brown blocked five shots in the game, all of which came from penalty kills, and deflected many shots not recorded as a block.  

But Eigner’s message to his team stresses the importance of translating their energy to more games. 

“We’ll enjoy it here for the next 15-20 minutes and then after that, we will start thinking about tomorrow.” 

Bowling Green attempts to complete their first sweep of the year with a win on Saturday against the Wildcats at 7:07 inside Slater Family Ice Arena.