Second period spells doom for Falcons in loss to Wildcats

Bowling Green went into Saturday’s game with plenty of momentum, winning their last game handily against Northern Michigan in the third period with a final score of 6-2 on Friday.

In that last period of play, the Falcons scored five unanswered goals, overtaking a 2-1 deficit.

Unfortunately, the second period of the second game was more of the same for the Wildcats and the Falcons. 

But this time, BG could not get the scoring going, being shutout 2-0 at Slater Family Ice Arena last night.

In both the first and the third periods, Bowling Green played to zeros with Northern Michigan. Neither team had an advantage as they nearly tied in faceoffs won and shots, played to an even score.  

The discrepancy was initiated and completed within the first 12 minutes of second-period play. Connor Eddy scored the first and game-winning goal, followed by the sealing goal at the hand of Michael Colella.

Both Quinn Emmerson and Eric Parker earned minor penalties, neither of which resulted in a Wildcat goal, but changed momentum away from the Falcons. 

“We felt like there were things we felt like we did well last night, and we weren’t able to get back to that tonight,” said head coach Ty Eigner. “We lost a bunch of faceoffs tonight, we were chasing the puck around, we just didn’t seem to have the same kind of ‘pop’ we had last night.” 

The Falcons were unable to gain their energy back, finishing the third period 26-58 in faceoffs, outshot 30-26, and eight minutes of penalty in the last two periods, playing shorthanded when attempting to mount a comeback. 

Northern Michigan’s record remains even (4-4) as they fall to fourth place behind Michigan Tech.

With the split against Northern Michigan, the Falcons’ record climbs in the CCHA (2-4) as they rise to seventh place, in front of Ferris State.

Bowling Green heads north for a two-game series in Houghton, Michigan against Michigan Tech on Dec. 1-2.