Duquesne WBB preview: Dukes, Falcons set for Monday night battle

goduquesne.com

The Thanksgiving meal for Bowling Green women’s basketball must have tasted extra sweet this year.

Why? the Falcons snagged a pair of wins down in Georgia, including one over Lehigh on Thanksgiving morning, to improve to 4-1 overall this season.

But now the Falcons have migrated back to the cold confines of Northwest Ohio, where on Monday night, the team faces the Duquesne Dukes.

A look at the upcoming opponent:

DUQUESNE DUKES-

Current Record: 3-1

Head Coach: Dan Burt (11th season)

Notable Burt Facts:

• Has been on the Duquesne staff for 17 years total, spending the first six years as an assistant.
  • Burt became Duquesne’s all-time winningest women’s basketball coach on Dec. 10, 2022 with a 56-54 victory over Vermont, earning his 177th win as the leader of the program.
  • In 2022-23, he led the team to the most home wins in program history with 14.

Notable Names:

• Megan McConnell (Jr.)- The junior from Pittsburgh, Pa. led the Dukes in their win over Pitt on Nov. 18 with 20 points, including going 4/6 from beyond the arc. Last season, McConnell was named to the Atlantic 10’s All Conference Second Team, and led the Dukes with 21 double-digit scoring performances.

• Nae Bernard (Jr.)- The product of Paris, Bernard had 11 points in the winning effort over the Panthers back on 11/18. Bernard last season averaged 9.4 points per game, while also registering the highest single-game scoring output last season for the Dukes (23 against St. Bonaventure, Jan. 11, 2023).

• Tess Myers (Jr.)- Myers, the native of Lower Burrell, Pa., had quite the spread of stats in the Dukes’ win over Pitt. The junior guard ended the night with nine points, five rebounds, one steal, and one block. In her career, Myers entered this season with the fifth-most three pointers in program history (205).

Notable Numbers:

• Duquesne has held three of its four opponents under .350 percent shooting from the floor as they currently sit third in the A-10 in field goal percentage defense.

• The Dukes are averaging 10.5 triples a game which ranks fifth in the NCAA while there 27 attempts rank 17th.

• McConnell currently leads the A-10 while sitting 16th  in the country with 3.50 steals per game. She’s totaled 14 steals so far this season while collecting 3+ in every game this year

Tipoff between BGSU and Duquesne is at 7 p.m. at the Stroh Center.