Waters receives first CCHA honors of career

Drake Harlett

Brody Waters was named the eighth Rookie of the Week in the 2023-24’ CCHA regular season.

He is the first Bowling Green rookie to receive such honors since 2021-22, when three-time honoree Austen Swankler, as well as one-time honorees Ryan O’Hara, and Ben Wozney, found themselves on the list of Rookie of the Week awards. 

Waters’ two-goal weekend leaves him second in goals with six and tied for second in assists with five, leading the team in powerplay goals (two), first goals (three), and shot percentage (.273).

In the CCHA he ranks ninth in goals, 16th in points, eighth in shot percentage, and seventh in powerplay goals. He is a conference-killer with four goals in 10 shots, two assists, and two game-tying goals in six games in the CCHA. 

“Brody has done a tremendous job adjusting to his first season of college hockey,” said assistant coach Stavros Paskaris. “The work he put in during the summer is paying off and he is getting rewarded for it every day.” 

The freshman helped the Falcons to a 6-2 win with the first two goals against Northern Michigan.

He plays on a line with fellow forwards O’Hara and Josh Nodler. Together, they are the top three scorers on Bowling Green’s roster and are responsible for 33 of BG’s 88 points and 16 of 35 goals.  

Waters and goaltender Christian Stoever are the only weekly award winners for the Falcons, Stoever winning the Goalie of the Week title in the first week of the year with a 27 save shutout win against Robert Morris.