Ozar’s OT goal, Moore’s near perfect night pushes Falcons past Huskies 2-1

Drake Harlett
Cole Moore in net

It is almost impossible to win a game of hockey when your goalie does not play well. 

Tonight, Cole Moore was the embodiment of what it takes to win a hockey game, as Moore led the Bowling Green hockey defense en route to a low-scoring 2-1 win over Michigan Tech earlier Friday evening in Houghton.

Moore, who has played well as of late,  earning two wins against Lake Superior State and Northern Michigan, added another tonight. He recorded 25 saves for a .960 save percentage, a lone goal coming three minutes into the second period by center Logan Pietila 

The freshman goaltender was a major part of the penalty kill, allowing no goals in four opportunities, and making some saves that left Husky fans in the MacInnes Ice Arena stunned.

In overtime, he completed a one-on-one save against star Husky forward Ryland Mosley, with Moore laying out completely for and saving a puck that set up the game-winner by Owen Ozar. 

Even with a great performance, Moore narrowly edged out his opposing goalie, Blake Pietila. Pietila saved 27 pucks in regulation allowing one goal to Brandon Santa Juana four minutes into the third period. He allowed the game-winning goal in OT by Ozar, finishing the day with 29 saves and a .932 save percentage. 

The goalie work reflects the play of both team’s skaters. Bowling Green barely led Michigan Tech in only two categories: shots (31-26) and faceoff wins (28-25).

Neither team converted on powerplays, combined going 0/8 with a man advantage, four chances for both teams.

The possession time was near even for both teams, MTU dominating in the first period and BG dominating in the third. 

But Michigan Tech’s head coach Joe Shawhan thinks the game was not as close as the stat line shows. 

“I think the better team won, they took the game over in the second half of the game and they made us play a lot in our zone,” said Shawhan irritably. “We shouldn’t have won.” 

Bowling Green gained three points in the CCHA with the overtime win, Michigan Tech gaining only one, but still rising to second place. The Falcons battle the Huskies in Houghton on Saturday at 6:07 pm.