Giving Back for the Holidays

unknown
Snow (3) 11/12

The holidays can be a difficult time for those who are financially struggling. There are ways around campus to help give back to our community during this difficult time. 

Kalli Gregory, the chapter president of NSLS here at BGSU, is working hard along with the members towards giving back to the community through their Holiday Toy Drive and other initiatives. 

Kalli shares the importance of volunteer work especially during the holiday season and why people should get involved in any way they can. 

“These children that are getting these toys are less fortunate in our area. They’re seeing their friends get toys and get things that they may not get if we don’t donate. They’ve fallen on hard times. And if we can bring that joy to them and show them the magic of Christmas and the holidays, that’s really what this is about. It’s about the kids.” Kalli said. 

When volunteering, it is important to remember the true reason as to why you are doing it. It can be easy to forget the true importance behind the cause. 

Kalli gives the advice to “Put others before yourself.” and to ask yourself Who am I doing this for? Am I doing it for myself? Or am I doing it for others?” 

“At the end of the day, it’s the people you’re helping. And once you put them above yourself, it will really change your perspective on volunteering.” she said. 

Donating is not the only way to contribute to the cause. It’s also important to spread the word about events so that they can help as many people as possible who may not know how to reach out and ask for assistance.

Simply share on social media. Tell people about it. That will help our efforts a lot.” Kalli said.  

Besides toy drives, there are other local ways to give back including volunteering at food pantries or helping to serve meals. Along with volunteering, any of these organizations take simple donations that go to those in need. 

Volunteering for the community will not only uplift your own spirit, but it will change the life of someone who is struggling during this time of the year.