BGSU vs Michigan Tech takeaways: BG loses second game of series third week in a row

Drake Harlett

For the third week in a row and the fifth week this season, Bowling Green has split a weekend series.

Three of those five wins come against three CCHA opponents, one apiece against Lake Superior State, Northern Michigan, and finally Michigan Tech this weekend.

Their conference record (3-5-1) is tied for last with Ferris State, and their conference ranking places the Falcons seventh of eight teams with nine points, half as many points as the leader, St. Thomas. 

But the rankings are not telling how the Falcons have improved in recent weeks. 

BG started the season 2-6, winning against Robert Morris in the first game, and Mercyhurst in the second game of a home-home series. However, the Falcons have started the CCHA season by being outscored 26-17. 

Since as of late, the Falcons have been outscored only 23-22 in the conference, the rough games being a 4-1 loss to St. Thomas, and a 2-0 loss to Northern Michigan. Yet in the last six games, they have outscored opponents 18-15, completing a multiple-goal win over Northern Michigan and Lake Superior. 

Offensively, there have been some impressive performances, both individually and team-wide. Forward Ryan O’Hara scored two goals in the 5-3 win over Lake Superior, finishing the weekend with three goals and an assist and almost doubling his point total.

Forwards Brody Waters and Seth Fyten scored two goals in the first game against Northern Michigan, Waters with the first two, and Fyten with the last two.  

There wasn’t a plethora of scoring in the series against Michigan Tech, yet an entire line of Falcon forwards found the back of the net. The starting line on Saturday consisted of Spencer Kersten, who scored one of two goals in the second period, Owen Ozar, and Brandon Santa Juana who scored the only two goals in the previous 2-1 OT win.  

The line recorded three out of four goals, one assist, four blocks, and 22/34 in the faceoff circles in only two games. 

Yet another bright spot for BG is their recent starting goalie, Cole Moore. 

Moore has started in the crease for six straight games, earning a conference record of 3-3. He had his best series of the season against Michigan Tech, allowing only four goals in 57 saves for a .930 save percentage, performing equally with decorated senior Husky goaltender Blake Pietila. 

But just like the two weekends against Lake Superior and Northern Michigan, the struggles occurred in the second game. The Falcons are 1-7 in the second game against all opponents and 0-4 in the second game of their four CCHA series.

Despite three one-goal losses in those four games, they certainly need to start finding wins in the second game if they want the best chance at rising in the standings. 

If they cannot? It will be more of the same- an up and down season.