Buckeyes use four-goal second period to throttle Falcons 6-2

Drake Harlett

Ohio State has seven wins on the season, all from non-conference opponents. Bowling Green last night became their fifth victim, scoring only one goal in each of the bookend periods. 

On a rare occasion this season, the Falcons were beaten in the faceoff circles, losing possession 31 of 55 attempts. The 31 possessions led to 41 shots on goal by the hometown Buckeyes, 15+ shots on goal in the last two periods. 

Through their 24 shots in the second period, OSU scored four goals with one on a powerplay and another shorthanded. Scooter Brickey finished with two goals in the second period one as the power-play game-winner. Stephen Halliday recorded two helpers to Brickey, then added two more to Riley Hughes and Cam Theising for a four-assist endeavor in Columbus.  

The second period was the worst showcase in the crease by any BGSU goalie this year. Cole Moore, who until this game had a .918 save percentage and received back-to-back Goalie and Rookie of the Month awards, allowed six goals in 35 saves with a 4-goal-12 save in the second period. 

Five Buckeyes finished the game with at least two points while the Falcons totaled only five players with one point or more. In addition, two Ohio State skaters found four minutes of penalty, while six Bowling Green skaters had 17 penalty minutes, including four by Eric Parker and a five-minute major by Nick O’Hanisain.

Four of the penalties by BGSU resulted in a goal either during the penalty or within one line change of the resumption of 5-on-5. 

The two Ohio schools battle again on Saturday with puck drop at 7:07 p.m., this time inside Slater Family Ice Arena. Listen to the call by Falcon Media Sports Network’s Nick Bowers on 88.1 WBGU.