Buckeyes sweep Falcons with 4-2 win inside sold-out Slater

Faceoff during the third period with full crowd

It is tough to find a team that outplays their opponents so frequently yet cannot put together consistent wins.

For Bowling Green hockey fans, they have had to watch that kind of team nearly every weekend. 

Through the first two periods, the Falcons played Ohio State to even score, ending the period 2-2. The third goal for OSU resulted from a broken stick and an unfortunate bounce by the puck, with the fourth goal as an empty netter that deflected off two sticks and found

the goal line. But realistically, it was more Falcon-favorable than portrayed by the score. 

Bowling Green bombarded Buckeye goalie Logan Terness with shots, recording 42 shots on goal compared to the opposing skaters’ 29. With three five-shot on goal efforts, the Falcons forced Terness into 40 saves letting in an even, and shorthanded goal for a .952 save percentage. 

“If their (Ohio State’s) goaltender doesn’t play as well as he played, maybe the score isn’t what it was after two,” said head coach Ty Eigner when reflecting on BG’s scoring chances. “Kid made some good saves.” 

Bowling Green also led in faceoff victories, another frequent occurrence this season. They won 40/73 draws with a 16-win game by Josh Nodler and an 8-win game by Spencer Kersten. In the second period, 19 faceoffs out of the 30 attempts were won by the Falcons for the most faceoff wins in a BG period this season. 

The Falcons head into Monday with no game to prepare for, but Eigner keeps the pressure on his team to practice as they normally do. 

“Monday we got to come back to work, and really that’s the only thing we can focus on.  I didn’t say we have an off weekend, I said we have no game this weekend. We are gonna take advantage of the time the best we can.” 

The Falcons next battle Minnesota State at home on the 19th and 20th of January for their first CCHA series of 2024.