Falcons clamp down Eastern Michigan 69-57 to remain undefeated in MAC-play

Erika Porter looking up for a potential shot

On Wednesday night, the Bowling Green women’s basketball team hosted Eastern Michigan for their third Mid-American Conference game of the season. 

The Falcons came into the game riding a two-game win streak, winning both of their first two conference matchups, with the Eagles coming off of a double digit loss to Toledo, but winning three of their last four. 

Bowling Green got off to a fast start by taking the lead on an Erika Porter field goal on the first possession of the game. This kickstarted a good shooting quarter from the Falcons in which they hit from beyond the arc four times. Morgan Sharps made two of those four three pointers scoring eight of her 14 points in the first quarter. 

The second quarter is where the Falcons began to pull away from the Eagles, leading by as many as 15 points during the second. Freshman Taya Ellis came off the bench scoring eight points and shooting a perfect 4-4 during the second quarter en route to setting a new career high of 10 points.  

Amy Velasco also played all twenty minutes of the first half and finished playing over thirty seven total minutes while recording 13 points, six assists and four steals in the process. 

Going into the locker room the Falcons led the Eagles 42-31 while shooting 57.1% from the field. 

The second half was more evenly matched with the Falcons only out scoring the Eagles by one, but the Falcons showed out of defense in the fourth quarter holding Eastern Michigan to a 2-16 (12.5 FG%) shooting performance in the quarter to go along with not allowing a field goal until 2:32 remaining in the same quarter. The Falcons held the Eagles to an only 37% shooting night overall. 

Four Falcons finished with double-digit points in the game with freshman Paige Kohler leading the way with 15 points to go along with 6 rebounds. Eight different players also scored for BG.

“I think we’re increasing on our depth and that’s huge,” Kohler said. “Everyone has a role, but for them to come in and like Mo (Morgan Sharps) said fill that gap it’s huge for us.” 

Head Coach Fred Chmiel called the Falcons performance “A true team win,” in which ten different players played minutes and contributed.

“I think everybody got a rebound that played, you know that’s probably unheard of.” 

After improving to 9-4, the Falcons are back on the court on Saturday, January 13th in a big conference game at Ball State with a 1 p.m tip off.