Tips for safe driving this winter

As the heart of winter approaches, it’s hard to predict if the snowfall will be heavy or not. To get students prepared for the winter roads covered in ice and snow, here are some tips to ensure you’re driving as safely as you can according to Ohio.gov.

The hazardous winter weather can make car buying a difficult business. 

Braking

Ohio.gov recommends drivers to brake early when driving in slippery or icy road conditions. Braking early, slowly and not slamming on breaks ensures the vehicle will stop in time with plenty of room. 

Control

Ohio.gov recommends not using cruise control when driving in slippery or icy road conditions, as well as avoiding abrupt steering maneuvers. Merging into oncoming traffic should be done slowly to make sure the car does not slide. 

Visibility

During limited visibility, reduce speed and stay attentive. During normal visibility, be aware of what is going on. Other vehicles will react to things before you, so it will give you an extra amount of time to react accordingly. 

STATS

18,347 accidents during winter in 2022 (OSHP)

215 serious injuries in 2022 from accidents in winter (OSHP)

37 deaths from accidents during winter in 2022 (OSHP)