Staying warm during the bitter cold

As a cold front sweeps over Ohio, bringing wind chills as cold as -20 degrees, students are recommended to prepare to face the freezing temperatures to ensure their health and safety. 
cold tips- Stepha

Heating up the home

Keeping warm is essential to battling the cold temperatures. Make sure heating is turned on in your dorms, apartments or homes and do not cover the vents. Cover up windows with pillows in case of a cold draft that may come in. Avoid using space heaters, as they can be a fire hazard if they are not properly attended.  If heating services in the dorms stop working, place a maintenance work order here: https://www.bgsu.edu/residence-life/forms-and-resources.html

Layer up

With extreme temperatures due to wind chills, it’s important to layer up to combat hypothermia or frostbite. Wear multiple layers of clothing, including pants, socks and shirts. Bundle up with gloves, hats and scarves and wear warm shoes. Make sure any clothing worn or freshly-washed hair is dry, as being wet can increase your chances of hypothermia or frostbite. According to local weather channels, the current temperatures can result in frostbite in 30 minutes, so try not to be outside for too long. 

Car preparation 

People never know when a car might stop due to the cold weather or an accident may happen. It’s important to have your car prepared as well. The Ohio Committee for Severe Weather Awareness recommends having a full tank of gas, an emergency kit on hand and checking tires and fluids. They also recommend having blankets, chargers, flashlights and batteries, water, food and a first-aid kit.