Scardina scores late, Falcons beat Minnesota State for first time since 2019, 4-3

Ethan Scardina (17) celebrates the game-winning final goal

For the first time since 2019, the Falcons have taken out Minnesota State.

Ethan Scardina was the hero of the night, scoring the game-winning goal with one minute left in the third period. On a breakaway off the pass of Spencer Kersten and Ben Wozney, Scardina found himself in a one-on-one situation with goaltender Keenan Rancier and a high shot sent the Falcons home with a win. 

“It feels amazing,” says Scardina after the game. “It was great to get that win that we definitely deserved in my opinion.”  

Rancier saved 28 shots, allowing four goals to four different Falcons, Scardina, Kersten, Jaden Grant, and Owen Ozar. Grant and Ozar scored unassisted goals with Kersten the only player on BG with multiple points (1 goal, 1 assist). 

Cole Moore extended his CCHA to 7-9 with a three-goal 22-save performance. His season save percentage lowered to 91.1% but Moore was able to successfully kill both penalties committed by the Falcons. The freshman has a winning record in the CCHA, 6-5, with two extra BG losses attributed to Christian Stoever.  

The Falcon’s CCHA position did not change with the win against Minnesota State, but they added three conference points to their total, now only nine points out of first place, and with a sweep this weekend against Minnesota State, BG will be only two points from overtaking the Mavericks in the standings. 

BG plays the second game of the series against Minnesota State on Saturday night at 7:07 in the Slater Family Ice Arena.