Mavericks bulldoze Falcons in 4-1 loss

Owen Ozer (22) and Jordan Power (13) getting into a fight

Bowling Green hockey chased a sweep against Minnesota State, entering the home arena with the momentum of a last-minute goal in the Friday win against the Mavericks. 

But the offense of the visitor proved too much for the Falcon defense. 

Christian Stoever received the start, saving 27 pucks and allowing four goals. His skaters did not help him much, as Sam Morton, Lucas Sowder and Kaden Bohlsen all scored hot goals off rebounds from less than 10 feet in front of Stoever.

No defenseman was able to push the Maverick forwards away from the crease and the Mavericks set up camp all game.  

The forwards in purple and gold added a couple of points to their weekend totals. Sowder added a goal, finishing the weekend with 2 goals and one assist, followed by Morton finishing with a goal in both games on the weekend. 

Another  huge factor, especially in the first and third periods, were penalties. 

Four penalties were called on both teams in the first period, resulting in only one powerplay goal by Sowder. Adam Eisele scored the only powerplay of the third period on eight penalties by MSU, and six penalties by BG.

Multiple players were kicked off the ice in the last minutes of the game following a fight between Owen Ozar and Connor Gregga totaling 60 minutes of penalty in the third period. 

“It’s two teams playing really hard,” said head coach Ty Eigner. “They are a proud program and they are used to winning and they are not going to give it to someone, you have to take it away.” 

In the end, Bowling Green was not able to take the win away, heading into another week of no games on a tough loss at home.