Women’s basketball suffers 56-47 loss to RedHawks

Erika Porter hauled in 19 rebounds, the most by any individual Falcon in 28 years
Jack Rintamaa
Amy Velasco (1), Morgan Sharps (0) and Keiryn McGuff (14) preparing for the game

Bowling Green women’s basketball team fell on Saturday afternoon, 56-47, to the Miami RedHawks in Mid-American Conference action at Millett Hall.

The game was one in which Bowling Green came in down a few faces due to injury and other reasons, those being Lexi Fleming, Abbie Riddle, Jasmine Fearne and Jasmine Clerkley.

Unfortunately for the orange and brown, the hits continued, as Keiryn McGuff exited the game with an injury, the extent of which is unknown at this time.

The lone bright spot was forward Erika Porter, who had a game high 16 points and 19 rebounds, while also collecting three blocked shots for the Falcons (10-6, 4-2 MAC). but BGSU was unable to bounce back from an early deficit.

The biggest issue for BG was in the offensive department, where they shot 25.4% from the field and a meager 13% from beyond the arc. BG also turned the ball over 17 times, 10 of which via a Miami steal.

Amy Velasco joined Porter in double digits with 13 points, while Morgan Sharps added eight and Sophie Dziekan with seven.

Porter’s total of 19 rebounds ties her for the eighth-highest single-game total in BGSU history. It was the highest rebound total by a Falcon in nearly 28 years.

For Miami (4-12, 2-4 MAC), Cori Lard had 12 points, with Hennessey Luu-Brown adding 11 and Amber Tretter and Katey Richason with 10 apiece.