Bulls use late game free throws to top Falcons 82-72

Amy Velasco tied her career high in assists with 11
Amy+Velasco.
Drake Harlett
Amy Velasco.

Bowling Green women’s basketball fell to the Buffalo Bulls on Wednesday by a final score of 82-72, giving BG their second straight loss.

The Falcons (10-7 OVR, 4-3 Mid-American Conference) got off to a back and forth start with the Bulls, taking a one point lead after the first quarter at 22-21. However, the Bulls ended the first half on a 12-4 run to take a five-point lead into halftime at 38-33.

In the second half, BG kept themselves within striking distance, and in particular in the third quarter, BG ended the third on an 11-4 run, which was followed up by scoring the first five points of the fourth to close the gap to a one point game.

Over the course of the next few minutes of the fourth, the two teams went back and forth, trading baskets and struggling to give one another a comfortable ability to separate the lead.

However, the late stages of the fourth quarter is where the game finally determined itself, as BG finished on the short end of a 15-3 run in the final three minutes and 20 seconds of the game. In that same stretch, Buffalo knocked down nine free throws, four of which coming from leading scorer Chellia Watson.

Overall, the game saw nine different lead changes and six different stretches where the game was tied.

Amy Velasco and Paige Kohler finished as the leading scorers for the orange and brown with 16 apiece. For Velasco, she added in 11 assists to tie her career-high in that category. Erika Porter continued her strong stretch of performances, ending the night with 14 points and 13 rebounds.

For Buffalo, Watson put up her career-high in points with 36, while adding in eight rebounds and five assists. Fellow senior guard Rana Elhusseini also ended with a solid performance, ending with 15 points, six rebounds and six assists.

BG now has to turn the page and focus on Saturday, when they return home for a Saturday afternoon battle with the Kent State Golden Flashes. Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m. from the Stroh Center.