BGSU MBB at Ball State preview: Falcons looking to end two-game skid

Drake Harlett
Trey Thomas (1) dribbling the ball up the court

The Bowling Green men’s basketball team will wrap up their road trip in Muncie, Indiana, against Ball State on Tuesday, Jan. 30. Tip-off from Worthen Arena is scheduled for 7 p.m.  

The Falcons will be looking to end their two-game skid after falling to Kent State (10-10, 3-5 MAC) and Toledo (13-7, 7-1 MAC) this past week.  

With a win against the Cardinals, BG would earn their 15th victory, the most in a season since they won 21 contests in the 2019-2020 campaign.     

Matchup History  

The contest on Tuesday will mark the 95th all-time meeting between the two teams.  

While the Falcons lead the all-time series 53-41, the Cardinals have won the past four battles against the Orange and Brown, including a 93-72 victory in their most recent matchup against the Falcons on Feb. 11, 2023. 

Bowling Green’s last victory against Ball State dates back to Feb. 16, 2021, when the Falcons left Muncie with a 75-62 win.  

Scouting Ball State  

Ball State enters the contest in eighth place in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) standings, holding an overall record of 11-9 and a conference record of 3-5. While they are just 3-5 when playing on the road, the Cardinals are 8-3 at Worthen Arena this season.  

Although they started MAC play with four consecutive losses, the Cardinals have won two straight games and three of their past four contests.  

The Cardinals defeated Buffalo by 28 points last Tuesday before beating Northern Illinois by 10 on Saturday.  

Ball State’s offense ranks in the top half of the MAC.  

Although the Cardinals average 75.3 points per game and shoot 46.1% from the field, good for just seventh and fifth in the MAC, Ball State leads the conference with a 37.6% three-point and 76.9% free throw percentage.  

BSU’s defense has also been solid this season.  

While the Cardinals allow an opponent field goal percentage of 44.6% and a three-point percentage of 33.4%, good for just seventh and fifth in the MAC, Ball State holds opponents to just 70.1 points per game, the second-best mark in the conference.  

The Cardinals have also been a good rebounding team this season.  

Even though they rank sixth in the MAC with 35.3 rebounds per game, Ball State limits opponents to just 31.8 boards per game, the best mark in the conference.  

The Cardinals also outrebound opponents by 3.6 boards per contest and grab 25.9 defensive rebounds per game, ranking second in the MAC.  

However, they grab just 9.4 offensive rebounds per game, the third-fewest in the conference.  

Scouting Bowling Green  

Bowling Green enters the contest in fourth place in the MAC, holding a 14-6 overall and 5-3 conference record.  

After going on a stretch where they won 12 out of 13 contests, the Falcons have lost two games in a row.   

BG fell to Kent State in overtime last Tuesday before losing by 16 points in the Battle of I-75 against Toledo on Saturday.  

The Falcons offensive numbers this season do not jump off the stat sheet.  

Even though they rank fifth in the MAC with 76.6 points per game, BG shoots 44.5% from the field and 31.5% on three-pointers, good for just ninth and 10th in the conference, respectively.  

Since MAC play started, the Falcons have scored 80.4 points per game, the best in the conference.  

Although they have been one of the best defensive units in the MAC for most of the season, the Falcons defense now ranks middle of the pack in the conference.  

BG holds opponents to 43.8% shooting from the field and 71.7 points per game, good for fifth and sixth in the MAC. However, they also allow opponents to shoot 35.6% on three-pointers, the second-worst mark in the conference.  

Since the beginning of MAC play, the Falcons have allowed opponents to score 81.6 points per game and shoot 40.4% on three-pointers, the second-worst marks in the conference.  

However, BGSU has been one of the best rebounding teams in the MAC this season.  

The Falcons lead the conference with 38.4 rebounds and 27.6 defensive rebounds per game. They also rank fourth in the MAC with 10.8 offensive boards per game.  

Falcon Four Players to Watch  

Marcus Hill (Bowling Green #0)  

The junior guard continues to impress in his first season at the Division I level.  

After leading the National Junior College Athletic Association in points scored last season, Hill leads the MAC with 418 points scored and 109 free throws made. Since MAC play started, Hill has led the conference with 23.3 points per game.  

The Rockford, Illinois, native has scored at least 20 points in five consecutive games.  

Rashaun Agee (Bowling Green #12)  

The senior forward has played arguably the best basketball of his collegiate career this season for the Falcon.  

Agee leads the MAC with a 59.5% field goal percentage. He also ranks second in the conference with 67 offensive rebounds and third with 9.0 rebounds per game.  

The Chicago, Illinois, native has scored double-digit points in 12 consecutive games, tallying eight double-doubles during that span.  

Basheer Jihad (Ball State #11)  

The junior forward has been one of the best players in the MAC this season, earning MAC Co-Player of the Week three times. 

Jihad ranks second in the conference with 117 defensive rebounds, fourth with 19.5 points and 7.8 rebounds per game and is tied for seventh with 23 blocks.  

The Detroit, Michigan, native has scored at least 20 points in three consecutive games. In BSU’s most recent contest against Northern Illinois, the reigning MAC Co-Player of the Week recorded his seventh double-double of the season, finishing with 28 points and 14 rebounds.  

Jalin Anderson (Ball State #1)  

The junior guard, who played the past three seasons at Loyola Marymount, is the primary facilitator for the Cardinals.  

The Jackson, Tennessee, native ranks second in the MAC with 4.8 assists per game, third with 1.7 steals and 35.4 minutes per game and 10th with 15.7 points per game.  

Anderson has scored double-digit points in all but one game this season. He has also recorded at least five assists in 13 of his 18 games played this season.