BGSU Police receives CALEA accreditation

Kevin Mensah
A Bowling Green State University Police cruiser.

The Bowling Green State University Police Department has earned full accreditation by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA). 

The department is the only accredited college or university affiliated agency in northwest Ohio. 

The CALEA certification is considered the “gold standard” for law enforcement accreditation, and according to a University press release, “aims to improve the delivery and offering of public safety services by maintaining a body of professional standards that guide the administration of accredited programs.” 

This accreditation elevates the BGSU Police Department above its peers in terms of standards and practice,” Chief Mike Campbell of the BGSU Police Department said. “CALEA accreditation is not easy to earn as it represents the highest level of professional law enforcement standards. This recognition only furthers our dedication to providing quality, community-focused service that’s both transparent and accountable.”

To receive the accreditation, the department had to meet 183 predetermined standards established by CALEA. This includes a remote evaluation of department standards, campus visit by CALEA assessor and a thorough review of BGSU Police policies and standards. 

“From officers to dispatchers, everyone in the BGSU Police Department has dedicated countless hours of time and effort developing and maintaining sound operating practices that translate into excellent service for our learning community,” said Campbell. 

The department is fully accredited for the next four years and will have annual reviews to ensure they continue to comply with standards. According to the press release, Campbell said the accreditation solidifies the University’s dedication to fostering a secure learning and work environment. 

“At BGSU, we strive to provide the best possible safety services for students, faculty and staff and continually seek ways to improve,” Campbell said. “With principles rooted in community relationship-building, this accreditation advances our commitment to supporting a sense of security throughout campus and offering positive, collaborative solutions to community concerns.”

The BGSU Police Department’s accreditation also aligns its operating standards with the Bowling Green Police Division (BGPD), increasing cooperation and collaboration. The BGSU Police Department and BGPD routinely work together through mutual aid agreements. 

Despite this milestone for the department, Campbell said the department will continually pursue new, innovative ways to improve its operations. 

“We are always looking for new and continuing educational opportunities to bolster our service to the learning community,” Campbell said. “Operating standards and practices are ever evolving and earning CALEA accreditation means our department will be at the forefront of adopting and adhering to the best policing policies through annual reviews and other assessment measures.”