Early offense makes Falcons “superior” in Saturday night sweep of Lakers 4-2

BGSU team celebrates with students after a sweep over the Lakers with a score of 4-2

Bowling Green hockey struck early and often, using an early four-goal lead to stomp Lake Superior State by a final of 4-2 earlier Saturday night at Slater Family Ice Arena. 

Senior forward Ethan Scardina scored his second and third goals of the weekend in the first period totaling four points in two games. He was accompanied in the first period by a goal at the hand of Brett Pfoh, and with an added assist, recorded two goals and one assist in the series. 

There were some fireworks late in the game as Scardina was given a major penalty and a game misconduct, exiting the game with seven minutes left to play. His penalties were not alone, as Brandon Santa Juana and Brody Waters committed roughing themselves, dragging Lakers Jared Westcott and Nate Schweitzer to the box with them. 

With seven minutes remaining, Cole Moore saved 11 pucks in the penalty kill and the extra two minutes. He allowed one goal in the penalty and another goal separately off of brilliant offensive sequences by the Lakers. In the end, Moore saved 37 pucks allowing only two through, bringing his season record to 9-9 and the team record to 10-8. 

“It gives us a lot of confidence,” said Scardina. “We swept two weekends in a row and down the stretch where all the games matter, the points are massive and we had a great game tonight.” 

BGSU (12-16 OVR, 10-8-1 CCHA) with the sweep has jumped into a tie for fourth in the conference, while LSSU falls to sixth.

To listen to last night’s game, click below to listen to the rebroadcast