3-1 win vaults Falcons into second place CCHA with four games to go

Drake Harlett
BGSU team celebrates with students after a sweep over the Lakers with a score of 4-2

Heading into this weekend, Bowling Green hockey fans would have been happy to take any points away from St. Thomas who, for a long time, was the first-place team. 

But Bowling Green was able to finish the weekend with five. 

Unlike the Friday game, BG struck first off a goal by Ben Doran. But like Friday’s game, they got the final word with the game-winner by Seth Fyten and an empty net solidifier by Brett Pfoh. 

Playing like a broken record runs, Cole Moore had another remarkable performance with 30 saves, allowing one goal in the third period, and killing three penalties successfully. The rookie’s weekend included one goal allowed with 62 total saves, making a strong bid for his third total and second in a row Goaltender of the Week award. 

With the shootout and 3-1 win over the Tommies, the team completed their third weekend in a row with two wins. Doubling their previous point total with 17 points in three weeks, the Falcons are now tied with St. Thomas and Minnesota State for second place in the CCHA, biting at the heels of Bemidji State in first place.  

“Obviously we are excited,” said head coach Ty Eigner. “It wasn’t easy and they play hard. For us to come up and take five of the six points is big, and the guys that are celebrating in there are the guys that deserve the credit.” 

The Falcons could clinch a home playoff series at Slater Family Ice Arena with one win over Michigan Tech on Feb 23-24.