2024 BGSU softball preview: Only direction from last season is up

Drake Harlett
BGSU’s Makailah Dees makes contact with the ball

The 2024 softball season has already begun across the nation, but for Bowling Green State University (BGSU), their softball season begins  on February 24, as the Falcons head south to compete in the ‘Battle at the Beach’ in South Carolina.  

As the new season begins, the Falcons have welcomed ten new faces to the team, eight ofwhich are freshmen. Addie Martin, Taylor Rothenbuhler, Taylor Behrendt, Peyton Steffes, Cameron Kaufman, Emma Denison, Alyvia Roth, Aarolyn Nogay and Kaylee Cole round out the freshman for this season, while Taylor Turner is a senior transfer from the University of Miami Ohio.   

“We are a young team,” said sophomore outfielder Delaney Davis. “We worked really hard this offseason.” 

Head coach Candace Fenton-Bockbrader is entering her second season at the helm for the Falcons. Last year, the Falcons finished the season with a 9-41 record. During that season the Falcons endured a 26 game losing streak, but finished the season with 4-2 win over North Kentucky University. 

“I look forward to watching these girls compete,” said Fenton. “I can’t wait to see everyone back on the field.” 

For the 2024 season, the Falcons have two senior captions, Peyton Dolejs and Reagan Williamson 

The Falcons will be led by their underclassman. Having a total of nine freshmen and seven sophomores ahead of the season. Making them one of the youngest teams in the MAC for this season.  

“We worked really hard this offseason,” said sophomore infielder Hannah Hunt “we are the underdogs and I can’t wait to go out and prove people wrong.” 

One question heading into the season is the health of pitcher Ellie Price. Price missed most of last season going down with a back injury. Price pitched a few innings in fall but underwent back surgery in the winter. Price is currently striving to make a comeback on the field, going through rehab.