BGSU hockey’s 1984 celebration and senior night spoiled by Michigan Tech’s 3-1 win

Michael Bevilacqua (6) skating with the puck

Bowling Green hockey has participated in a sweep in four straight weekend series. Unfortunately, Michigan Tech took the reins in the last regular season home series in the Slater Family Ice Arena. 

Trying to bounce back off a 7-0 defeat, the Falcons opened up the game with high-intensity defense, with no teams coming away with great scoring chances until the third period. Both teams’ goaltenders and defensive schemes bested the opposing offenses through two periods, leaving fans talking about overtime prematurely. 

BG opened up their scoring for the weekend in the third minute of the third period off a goal by Seth Fyten, his seventh on the year.  

“It’s always great to score here at home,” said Fyten. “The fans are amazing here so it felt great.” 

Less than three minutes later, the rowdy orange crowd was silenced by a tying goal from defenseman Evan Orr. 

The Orr goal felt as the turning point in the game, as the momentum swung in the Huskies’ direction propelled them to a game-winner by Chase Pietila, and then an empty net goal by his older brother Logan Pietila. 

The bloodline had even more success with a 19-save, one-goal effort by twin brother Blake Pietila, making his bid for a third Goalie of the Week award for the CCHA. He finished the weekend 47/48 on shots from the Falcons. 

It would be foolish not to mention the contributions of Cole Moore, once again the centerpiece of a strong Falcon defense.  

Moore had a .941 save percentage on 32 saves and two goals allowed. He was only .9 percent behind Pietila in save percentage, and when on the ice held the Huskies to below their season goal average. 

“Credit to our goalie,” said Fyten. “He played hard all night and we left him out to dry there.” 

The excitement of the weekend was not spoiled by Michigan Tech’s dominance. The Slater Arena was full and loud, erupting during Fyten and BG’s lone goal, and every hit that came from the orange and brown. 

Much of this excitement spanned from the celebration of the 1984 NCAA hockey national championship team and their return to the arena. The gratitude from the fans and the program was immense. 

“It was another great atmosphere,” said head coach Ty Eigner. “Cool for our players to spend some time with the players and coaches. The university did an outstanding job with them and everything from BG’s perspective in terms of celebrating and honoring them was really positive.” 

Seniors Josh Nodler, Spencer Kersten, Fyten, Ethan Scardina, and Tommy Pasanen were honored during pregame for their contributions to the program. Fyten, Scardina, and Pasanen also announced their return to BG hockey, exercising their fifth year of eligibility. 

“We’ve talked about it this whole year,” says Fyten. “This is a great group, the best we’ve had since I’ve been here at BG, and I’m looking forward to coming back to the guys and focusing on the rest of the season. We all have belief.” 

“Kersten and Nodler have been contributors on and off the ice to this group and it was nice to see them be honored,” said Eigner. “When Seth, Ethan, and Tommy announced they were coming back it was huge. They are glue guys that are respected in our room, and it’s good for peace of mind that we know what the group is going to look like next year.”