BGSU hockey drops third straight in 4-1 loss to Northern Michigan

Drake Harlett
Owen Ozar (22) laying a hit

After embarking on a six-game win streak, Bowling Green hockey fell on Friday night to the Northern Michigan Wildcats 4-1, their third straight loss, all three by two goals or more.

The orange and brown once again had defensive problems, allowing four goals and the game to get out of hand by the middle of the second period. 

Northern Michigan opened up the weekend with a powerplay goal from Kristof Papp, setting up the eventual game-winner by Isack Bandu. Fifth-year Andre Ghantous had helpers on both goals, bringing the forward to 22 assists on the season. 

The Falcons’ lone goal came just under six minutes into the third period off the stick of Dalton Norris. With the assists by Seth Fyten and Eric Parker, only three players scored points in the game and only one recorded more than three shots on goal. 

Despite the loss, Bowling Green still has a chance at a home playoff series on March 8. BG needs a regulation or overtime win against the Wildcats in Saturday’s game and a Michigan Tech loss to St. Thomas to bring a playoff series to the Slater Family Ice Arena. 

If BG loses to Northern Michigan in regulation on Saturday, they will drop to sixth or seventh place, playing an away playoff series in the CCHA tournament. 

CCHA Standings as of March 1