1-0 loss in Marquette sends BGSU hockey back to Michigan for CCHA playoff series in Houghton

Jack Walsh
Josh Nodler (10) in a faceoff

The CCHA regular season dust has settled, but not in the way Bowling Green hockey fans may have hoped. 

For the second week in a row, BG has allowed an opponent to earn six points against them, as last night, Northern Michigan used stifling defense to sweep the orange and brown by a final of 1-0.

Wildcat forward Connor Eddy scored the only goal and the game-winner, assisted by Andre Ghantous for his third point and helper in two games. 

The lone goal lit the red light behind Christian Stoever, starting in place of Cole Moore, who gave up three goals in the previous game. Stoever played arguably the best game of the season saving 25 pucks with the goal allowed. 

Because of the loss, the Falcons fell to sixth place in the CCHA, overstepped by NMU and only one point ahead of Lake Superior State. This fall, coupled with a Bemidji State and Michigan Tech win, prompted a best-of-three playoff series between Bowling Green and Michigan Tech in Houghton, Michigan. 

The first playoff game will be the 54th matchup between the Falcons and Huskies and the 25th in Houghton. In their last ten at Michigan Tech, the Falcons are 5-4-1 including an overtime win and a one-goal loss this season. 

Quarterfinal playoff games will be played Friday, March 8, and Saturday, March 9, with a deciding game on March 10 if needed.