Falcons shutout 5-0 in game one of Mason Cup Quarterfinals

Lena Zielke
Quinn Emerson (18) looking to pass the puck

They carried it into the playoffs; Michigan Tech has Bowling Green’s number. 

3-0 in their last three meetings, the Huskies have outscored BG 15-1, taking six points in the CCHA standings race and tonight, the vastly important first playoff game. 

The Huskies slaughtered the Falcons. Five unanswered goals were scored by five different players, all in black and gold.

Logan Pietila had the best day of any skater, recording the first and game-winning goal with an assist in both the second and third periods. 

His twin brother played as well or better. However somewhat unchallenged, Blake Pietila saved 21 shots, allowing no goals, his second shutout of the Falcons in the last three weeks.  

The Pietila-led Huskies posed an immense challenge to BG’s defense. The Falcons allowed 44 shots on goal, five goals, and played six minutes with a man disadvantage. 

The only true strength of the orange and brown in this game was their ability to kill powerplays. Even still, they were 0/3 on their own man advantages in the Michigan Tech zone. 

Quinn Emerson was the scoring chance leader for BG with only three shots on goal. He was followed by Spencer Kersten with two shots on goal but a few great scoring chances on low-probability situations. 

Cole Moore made another confusing bid for his return to the crease in the second game. 

On the optimistic hand, Moore saved 39 shots with some outstanding saves that cannot be captured in the written word. He was the only reason the Falcons had a chance in the game, as there very well could have been more goals if not for his acrobatics. 

On the flip side, he gave up five goals, the first being a score off his own stick without any real pressure from the opposition. 

Adjustments have to be made in the second game on Saturday at 6:07 p.m. for BG to have an opportunity for a Sunday tiebreaker game in Houghton.

If not, the season will be over.