Seven home runs elevate Falcons past Cardinals in 15-8 Sunday win

Keira Ellenberger
Rigo Ramos looking to throw a strike.

Bowling Green baseball (8-8) had a tall task ahead of them if they wanted to top a 34-run performance on Saturday against fellow Mid-American Conference (MAC) team Ball State (11-9). The Falcons completed the sweep on Sunday, on the back of seven homeruns from four different batters. 

Besides a scoreless first inning, the Falcons managed to get a player to cross home plate in every other inning, staying tied until the third inning when bats woke up for the Orange and Brown, outscoring Ball State 12-5 from the fourth onward. 

The action was sparked off a home run from senior outfielder Jack Krause, whose home run as the first batter at the top of the fourth gave BGSU a lead that would not be taken away for the rest of the contest. 

Krause was one of three different Falcons to record two home runs against Ball State, joined by senior infielder Tyler Ross and sophomore right hander DJ Newman 

An eighth inning stand by the Cardinals was the only moment of concern for BGSU when senior infielder Michael Hallquist smoked a deep home run which, along with a single later the same inning, shrunk the Falcon lead to just five. 

Pitching woes have been a common issue for BGSU throughout the early portion of the season, but in a three-inning performance, left-handed senior pitcher Rigo Ramos had a team high three strikeouts but also allowed the most hits of any Falcon pitcher with four. 

The eight-run outing for the Cardinals was not enough in the end for a high-flying Falcons offense, with Ball State being outscored in their home series 54-20.  

Bowling Green is now the only team that is still perfect in MAC play, sitting at 6-0 after playing two series which is the first time since 1995. The sweep also means that the Falcons are an even .500 on the season marking the first time since 2022 that this has been achieved.  

The Orange and Brown return to the diamond on Tuesday, March 19 in a home and home series against Youngstown State. The Falcons will rematch the Penguins later in the year on Wednesday, April 17.  

First pitch Tuesday is at 5 p.m.