BGSU announces Tanner Barton as new swim and dive head coach 

Jack Rintamaa, Falcon Media

Bowling Green has found a new swim and dive head coach, announcing the hire of former John Carroll head coach Tanner Barton on Wednesday afternoon.  

Barton, the 11th head coach in program history, replaces Rickey Perkins, whose contract was terminated by BGSU on March 4.  

“Tanner Barton is high-energy, high-impact, and a transformative leader. He has been thrust into leadership roles from his time as a student-athlete in the Mid-American Conference to coaching positions over the years. In each role, he has significantly and positively impacted the trajectory of the programs and distinguished himself as a change agent,” BGSU Director of Athletics Derek van der Merwe said in a press release. “I am excited to partner with him in building a swim and dive program that has consistent success and evolving BGSU’s commitment to swim and dive in the region. His contagious energy and passion will make BGSU Athletics better every day.”  

During his four seasons at John Carroll, a nationally ranked Division III program, Barton led the Blue Streaks to eight total Ohio Athletic Conference (OAC) championships, four on each the men’s and women’s sides.   

At JCU, Barton oversaw 41 school records, 27 OAC records, 104 conference championship titles and 21 College Swimming Coaches Association of America First Team All-Americans.  

“Upon coming to campus, I quickly learned how BGSU is at the heart of this city. As a relational leader, I am eager to become a member of the community and build meaningful partnerships,” Barton said in a press release. “I want to thank President Rogers, Derek van der Merwe, Stacy Kosciak and Chet Hesson for entrusting me to lead the women’s swimming and diving team. With a steadfast commitment to bettering ourselves in and out of the pool, I am confident the current and all future Falcons will proudly represent BGSU. I am extremely excited to begin, and the future is bright!”  

Before a historic run at John Carroll, Barton coached at Anderson University and Cleveland State. During his collegiate career, the Dublin, Ohio, native was a four-year finalist at the MAC Swimming and Diving Championships at Ball State.  

Barton will be formally introduced at a press conference on Thursday at 1:30 p.m.