Falcons drop road meet against Eagles, Vitela and Vial lead the way

Jack Rintamaa

Last night, Bowling Green Swim & Dive continued their season in Ypsilanti, facing off against the Eastern Michigan Eagles and falling with a 114-173 score.

Despite falling short, the meet saw four first-place Falcon finishes and multiple lifetime bests from the divers.

Here’s how it happened.

Kicking it off for Bowling Green, senior Gabby Vitela booked her first event win of the season, taking first place in the 1650 Yard Freestyle with a 17:20:99 time. Adding to the scoresheet, Emily McNicol managed to take home gold in the 100 Yard Backstroke, logging a 56.89 time.

Also representing the swimmers was Ava Vial, who won the 400 and snagged second place in the 200 Butterfly.

For the divers, senior Grace Ellis ran the show, winning the 1 Meter Dive with a 293.48 score, a lifetime best. Adding to the diver’s efforts was Evie Long, who placed behind Ellis in the 1 Meter and placed fifth in the 3 Meter Dive.

Keeping the streak alive, senior Cassidy Daugherty logged her lifetime best on the 1 Meter Dive for two weeks in a row. Speaking of lifetime bests, Long came close to beating her lifetime best for a second week in a row, but didn’t score high enough to top her teammate Ellis.

From here, the Falcons will travel back to Cooper Pool for senior night on Friday, Feb 2. starting at 5:30 pm. Bowling Green will host both Toledo and Buffalo for this meet, all while recognizing 12 Falcon swimmers and divers.