Swim and Dive team soars in MAC Championships

Jack Rintamaa, FMSN

The Bowling Green women’s swim and dive team placed eighth throughout all four days in the Mid-American Conference Championship meet in the finale yesterday.

On Wednesday, the Falcons started their first race, timing 1:42.99 in the 200 medley relay, making their fastest time of the season.

The 800 freestyle relay was disqualified because of an early start. However, the next few days were very impressive.

On Thursday, Ava Vial secured her last spot in the 200 IM finals, timing 2:04.15, which was a 0.09 second drop from her previous time. 

Sarah Butt also placed 14th in her one-meter diving championship, rising from 229.25 to 228.30. The 400 Medley relay also placed eighth that night.

On Friday, the Falcons managed to have four out of their five swimmers place in the finals during that day. Still in her freshman year, Joanna Robertson placed 16th in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:04.33. 

The 200 free relay also placed seventh with Elayna Krupp, Grace Bodrock, Emily McNicol and Riley McNichols representing the team. 

Vial also placed fifth in the 400 IM.

On Saturday, Natalia Mayorga placed fourth in the three-meter dive, scoring 275.05. 

The 400 free relay with Krupp, Bodrock, McNicol and McNichols placed eighth timing 3:27.19. 

Blanca Sanz also made her first final time as a freshman, placing 11th in the 1650 freestyle with a time of 17:06.77.

The team will be swimming once again on March 14 in Ocala, Florida for the National Invite Championships. 

NCAA Diving Zones will also feature BGSU divers on March 14 in Louisville, Kentucky.