Pair of homers enough to push Falcons past Mastodons 8-7

Bowling Green, OH – Falcons Designated Hitter DJ Newman (28) coming around third base in celebration after his homerun at Steller Field in Bowling Green, Ohio

Bowling Green baseball (16-11) looked to bounce back, facing the Purdue Fort Wayne Mastodons (12-20) on Wednesday after having a four-game winning streak snapped against the Ohio State Buckeyes on Tuesday.  

The mid-afternoon matinee started with the teams trading home runs when red-shirt freshman first baseman Brady Birchmeier slammed his second career long ball, sparking a three run flurry for BGSU. 

A Mastodon answer in the form of a double smacked by freshman right fielder Nate Simpson evened everything up at four with their batting order resetting at the bottom of the fourth.  

Three quick innings would pass by for the Falcons, who could only manage two hits in the third, fourth and fifth innings. PFW on the other hand put two more runs on the board giving them a two-run lead, their first of the day. 

A momentum swing occurred when senior right-handed pitcher Isaiah Seidel was brought in to reduce the damage of the Mastodons. He struck out two straight batters and forced another to swing, giving BGSU a chance. 

The chance would be answered in the bottom of the sixth when sophomore designated hitter DJ Newman smoked his first hit of the day in the form of a three-run home run, this pushing the Falcons ahead by one.  

The Mastodons continued to target left center field but found resistance from junior centerfielder Nathan Archer, who managed to snag five fly balls, consistently outing PFW. 

A deep shot to left field was narrowly missed by junior left fielder Caden Parker, bringing a Mastodon across home plate and tying the contest. 

With the game winding to a close, the Falcons recorded a single that brought Parker home and put the Orange and Brown ahead. This would be the game winning run, sending the Falcons into the weekend on a win.  

BGSU managed to peel a 8-7 win away from the Mastodons despite a three-error day, Bowling Green now will face Central Michigan University in a three-game series starting Friday at 3 p.m. The Saturday and Sunday games both have first pitches set at 1 p.m.