BGSU baseball vs Youngstown State preview: Falcons seeking to continue historic home start  

Drake Harlett
Bowling Green, OH – Bowling Green beat Central Michigan 18-17 in eleven innings at Steller Field in Bowling Green, Ohio

The Bowling Green baseball team is seeking to stay red hot and continue their historic start at home, battling Youngstown State on Tuesday, with the first pitch scheduled for 3 p.m.  

The Falcons are 7-0 at Steller Field this season, their best home start since 2006 and tied for the third-best all-time. However, this year marks the first time BGSU has started 7-0 at home against all Division I opponents in program history.  

With a win, BG would start 8-0 at home for just the second time in program history and the first time since 1975. 

Falcon Media Sports Network’s Chas McNeil will have the call of the game on 88.1 WBGU, starting at 2:45 for pregame and 3 p.m. for the first pitch.  

Matchup History 

The teams have previously played 19 times since 1989, with Youngstown State leading the all-time series 13-6. 

Although the teams split last year’s series, BG outscored the Penguins last season 19-11. 

Scouting Bowling Green  

The Falcons have been on a historic run this season, standing atop the Mid-American Conference (MAC) with a 19-11 overall and 15-0 conference record.  

BG’s 15 consecutive conference wins are the most in program history and the longest streak in the nation this season.  

The Orange and Brown’s offense has been dominant this season.  

Although BG has played just 30 games, the fewest of any MAC teams, they lead the conference with 291 runs scored, a .519 slugging percentage (SLG) and 176 walks drawn. BGSU also ranks second in the MAC with a .309 batting average (BA) and a .420 on-base percentage (OBP) and fourth with 55 home runs.  

The Falcons, who have scored at least seven runs in 22 games and at least 10 runs in 14 games, are averaging 9.7 runs scored per game, the eighth-best mark in the nation.  

However, Bowling Green’s pitching has not been nearly as dominant.  

BGSU is tied for fourth in the MAC with 30 wild pitches, ranking fifth with a 7.17 earned run average (ERA) and seventh with 240 strikeouts and a .304 opponent batting average (BAA).  

However, BG’s pitching has improved during conference play.  

The Falcons rank fourth in the MAC with a 5.63 ERA against conference opponents.  

Scouting Youngstown State  

Youngstown State has struggled this season, entering the contest in last place in the Horizon League with a 5-29 overall and a 3-12 conference record.  

YSU’s offense has struggled all season.  

The Penguins rank second-to-last in the Horizon League with a .225 BA, 150 runs scored, 15 home runs, .357 SLG, a .338 OBP and 118 walks.  

Youngstown State’s pitching has been the worst in the Horizon League this season.  

The Penguins rank last in the conference with an 11.93 ERA, 408 runs allowed, 358 earned runs allowed, 256 walks, 208 strikeouts and a .350 BAA.  

Falcon Four Players to Watch  

DJ Newman (Bowling Green #28)  

The two-way sophomore star is having another excellent season for the Falcons.  

At the plate, Newman is riding an eight-game hitting streak. Offensively, he ranks second in the MAC with three triples, seventh with 35 runs scored, ninth with 34 runs batted in (RBI) and nine stolen bases and 10th with a 1.084 on-base plus slugging percentage (OPS) and eight home runs.  

On the mound, the Archbold, Ohio, native ranks fourth in the MAC with a 3.61 ERA and a .239 BAA, sixth with four wins and ninth with 15 strikeouts looking.  

Jack Krause (Bowling Green #7)  

The senior outfielder has been an offensive force for the Falcons this season.  

The Brighton, Michigan, native has reached base in 20 consecutive games.  

Krause ranks second in the MAC with a .492 OBP, third with 25 walks drawn, sixth with a 1.114 OPS and seventh with 35 runs scored and three sacrifice flies.  

Trey Law (Youngstown State #1)  

The redshirt senior has been one of the best players for the Penguins, entering the game on a four-game hitting streak.  

Law ranks 10th in the Horizon League with a .356 batting average.   

The Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, native also leads YSU with eight doubles, 25 runs scored and a .421 OBP.  

Alejandro Covas (Youngstown State #19)  

The freshman outfielder is one of the best speedsters in the Horizon League.  

Covas leads the conference with six triples and ranks ninth with 10 stolen bases.  

The Peninsula, Ohio, native also leads the Penguins with an .856 OPS.