Goalkeeper signs professional contract

BG goalie Andrew Hammond’s hockey career will extend past the college ranks.

On Wednesday, the Ottawa Senators of the NHL announced the signing of Hammond to a two-year entry-level contract. Hammond has signed an amateur tryout agreement and will report to the Binghamton Senators of the AHL.

In his four-year career at BG, Hammond posted a 30-68-13 career record in 111 games. His 3,030 career saves rank fourth in BG history; his seven career shutouts are tied for first in school history with Tyler Masters.

This past season, Hammond posted the best numbers of his career, despite missing time with separate elbow and knee injuries. He finished the season with a 10-15-3 record, a 2.47 goals-against average and a .917 save percentage.

Ottawa is 16-8-6 to date sitting fifth place in the Eastern Conference. The Senetors also have three goalies on their roster; Craig Anderson, Ben Bishop and Robin Lehner.

The announcement also comes just as the Falcon’s season ended to Notre Dame in the CCHA playoffs this past weekend.