University names Interim AD

University President Mary Ellen Mazey announced Thursday a new interim director of the athletic department, opting to fill the vacant position left by Greg Christopher this past week internally.

Mark Shook, who serves as an interim athletic director, was previously the Associate Athletics Director for Compliance and Student-Athlete Services at the University. He will take over the position on May 3.

All of his seven years at the University were served under Christopher, who announced in late March he would be resigning his position to become the athletic director at Xavier University.

“In Mark’s seven years at Bowling Green, he has exhibited excellence in guiding the academic support services and compliance departments,” Mazey said in a press release. “It is evident that his leadership will provide effective direction for the athletics department during this time of transition.”

Shook began in 2006 and oversaw the comprehensive NCAA Compliance and Academic Support Services Program. He was also the sport administrator for women’s tennis, leading the supervision, evaluation and overall management of the program.

“I am honored that Dr. Mazey has asked me to serve in this role,” Shook said in a press release. “I am confident that our strong team of administrators and coaches will continue to put our student-athletes first in our decision-making during this time of transition.”

Prior to his services at the University, Shook spent four years as an academic support services advisor at Purdue.