Falcons tie first conference game of season on Senior Night

The Falcons tied Hartwrick 1-1 at Cochrane field this Saturday Oct. 26 in a double overtime game, making their record 5-6-5 overall and 2-1-1 in the Mid-American Conference.

Saturday was also Senior Night for the men’s soccer team and before the game started, 10 seniors were recognized in a ceremony.

In the game, BG outshot Hartwick 18-11 and also attempted more corner kicks than Hartwick did 6-4. Hartwick had more saves than BG did 6-5. BG’s goalkeeper, Michael Wiest had all five saves for his team.

Hartwick took a quick lead against BG with 33 minutes past in the game. Wiest came off his line and tried to leap for the ball, but the ball was taken from him and Hartwick made the goal giving them the 1-0 lead.

The Falcons were able to tie up the game at the 66:25 mark when Midfielder Brandon Silva took a corner kick from the southeast corner of the field.

“I think it was a fair result,” said head coach Eric Nichols. “I think it was an even game. The possessions were even, chances were pretty even, so the result is fair and I will say I have a lot of respect for Hartwick.”

The Falcon’s season is coming to a quick end with three games left. They have a week until their next game on Nov. 2 at 1 p.m., when the team will be headed to Kalamazoo, Mich., to face another MAC team, Western Michigan. Three days later on Nov. 5, they will be back home for the last home game of the season to face Indiana Purdue-Fort Wayne at 7 p.m. Three days after that, they will head to Morgantown, West Virginia to play the last game of the season against another MAC team.

After these three games are played, the MAC Tournament Semifinals will start. The place is to be announced since it will take place at the regular season champion’s site. BG is sitting at the number three spot. Akron is at the top spot with a record of 4-1-0 in the MAC and Western Michigan is at the second spot with a 2-0-1 record in the conference.

BG is hoping to advance their record, with two more MAC games left they might be able to grab a higher spot on the MAC division standings.