BGSU hockey hosts Colgate in two game weekend series

BGSU+Hockey
Steven W. Echard
BGSU Hockey

The BG men’s ice hockey team will host the Colgate University Raiders in a two game series Friday and Saturday both at 7:07 p.m.

BG is coming off an impressive 4-3 comeback win over the Ohio State University Buckeyes this past Tuesday night in front of a packed house at the BGSU Ice Arena.

The Raiders currently have a record of 2-1 after splitting a home stand with the Ferris State University Bulldogs. Ferris State won the season opener 7-4 but Colgate won the next night 1-0. The Raiders’ last game was a 4-1 win on Oct. 10 against the Rochester Institute of Technology.

The Falcons have a 6-1-1 all-time record against Colgate, with their only loss last year. Colgate head coach Don Vaughan has 21 years under his belt and as the Raiders head coach, has 328 career wins, the most in program history. Vaughan has helped Colgate reach four 20-win seasons, 19 appearances in the Eastern College Athletic Conference tournament, and two NCAA tournament berths.

BG forwards Bryce Williamson and Ben Murphy lead the team in goals as each have two goals during three games. Williamson also recorded an assist against Ohio State for an individual total of three points on the season. He is also the only Falcon to have a multi-point game so far.

Bowling Green has 10 skaters with at least a point and each skater has played in every game. Goaltender Tommy Burke earned his first victory of the season Tuesday when he made 25 saves and held Ohio State scoreless during the intense third period. Burke now has improved his overall record to 6-6-3 in his career.

BG has improved their work on special teams this year. The Falcons were 7-8 (88 percent) on the penalty kill this past Tuesday night. This past week, BG allowed 18 power play opportunities and gave up six goals as a result against the Union College Dutchmen.

Sophomore forward Ben Murphy tallied two power play goals against Ohio State and set a brand new career high for goals in a game. Freshman defenseman Sean Walker has the highest plus rating on the team with a +4 rating.

The Raiders will offer the Falcons a challenge on the ice. Colgate forward Kyle Baun had 14 goals this past season and forward Tyson Spink had 20 assists and 31 points this past season.

The Falcons complete their three-game home stand against the Colgate University Raiders Friday and Saturday at 7:07 p.m. BG’s next game will be on the road at Ohio State University on Oct. 29 and they will return to the BGSU Ice Arena to take the University of Alaska Anchorage Seawolves in their first Western Collegiate Hockey Association home series.