BG tames the Wolverines in mid-week match

Bryce Williamson scored twice, and Andrew Hammond stopped 19 of 20 shots as the BG hockey team routed Michigan, 5-1, Tuesday night at Yost Ice Arena.

The Falcons got off to a quick start, with Williamson scoring his first goal 6:10 into the first period. Marc Rodriguez beat Michigan goalie Adam Janecyk five hole on an odd-man rush, extending the lead to 2-0 just a minute and 40 seconds later.

Ryan Carpenter added a goal and an assist for BG, and Mike Sullivan had two assists and a plus-four on-ice rating.

The Falcons lost forward Brent Tate eight minutes into the first period when he was given a five-minute major and a game misconduct for boarding Michigan’s Brennan Serville. BG was able to kill off the ensuing Michigan power play.

Janecyk was pulled after two periods of play. He gave up four goals on 19 shots. Steve Racine relieved him, stopping 12 of 13 shots in the third period.

Luke Moffatt pulled the Wolverines within one just three minutes into the second period, when he redirected a pass from Mac Bennett over Hammond’s glove hand.

Carpenter brought the lead back to two eight minutes later on a rebound goal in the crease.

Michigan was without the services of leading scorer A.J. Treais, who was suspended one game for contact to the head Dec. 30 against Michigan State. However, the Wolverines had defensemen Jacob Trouba and Jon Merrill return to the lineup.

Trouba missed the previous two weeks playing with Team USA at the World Junior Championships. Merrill had been out since fracturing vertebrae in an exhibition game in September.

BG outshot Michigan 32-20. It was the Falcons’ first win at Yost Ice Arena since Nov. 20, 2009, which ended a six-game losing streak at Yost.

BG is now 3-0-1 in its second half of the season. The Falcons are off this weekend, and will return to the ice Tuesday, Jan. 15 against Notre Dame at home.

Puck drop for the game is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.