BGSU hockey team loses 2 games at Lake Superior State

The BG hockey team lost 4-3 to the No. 16-ranked Lake Superior State University Lakers in both games during this weekend series. 

On Friday night, freshman Matt Pohlkamp, sophomore Brent Tate and senior Bryce Williamson scored goals for the Falcons. BG was 2-3 on the power play and 1-1 on the penalty kill in the first game of the road series.

Sophomore goaltender Tommy Burke saved 20 of 24 shots in the losing effort.

BG entered the final period tied at two until Williamson scored 2:04 into the period on a power play goal. Williamson, who was named the WCHA Offensive Player of the Week on Oct. 22, scored the Falcons second power play goal of the game. It was Williamson’s third consecutive game with at least one point and he currently leads the team with 15 points on the season.

However, Lake Superior State scored the final two goals of the evening and BG lost 4 to 3 in regulation.

“We’re not defending very well and that’s disappointing,” BG head coach Chris Bergeron said. “We’re not able to play with a lead and it’s costing us games.”  

On Saturday night, BG lost to Lake Superior State again 4 to 3, despite receiving two goals from forward Dajon Mingo. The two goals is a career high for the sophomore forward.

Junior forward Dan DeSalvo also scored a goal for the Falcons, while Tomas Sholl made 28 saves in the losing effort.

The Falcons went 0 for 4 on the power play, but were 3 for 3 on the penalty kill on the night.

BG had the lead early in the third period following a Mingo goal. However, the Lakers scored the final two goals of the evening to give the Falcons their second loss of the road series. 

“It’s a combination of a number of different things which is the funk we’re in,” Bergeron said. “We’re really, really finding ways to lose games. It’s not just one person. It seems to be a different person each night.”

Over the weekend, the two teams combined to score eight goals over the final 20 minutes of play, and tallied 41 shots on net. The Falcons and Lakers saw seven lead changes over the WCHA weekend series.

The loss moves the Falcons record to 6-7-3 overall and 4-5-1 in league play. The 16th ranked Lake Superior State Lakers improve to 9-4-1 overall, and 5-3 in WCHA conference play.

The Falcons will be back at the Ice Arena this weekend when they host the University of Alabama-Huntsville Chargers. It will be the last series on home ice for the Falcons until Jan. 10.