Track and field team looks to continue good start

After a good performance in the first outdoor meet, the Falcons’ track and field team looks to do the same in Athens, Ohio at the Ohio Cherry Blossom meet this Saturday, at a two-day event.

This will be a good opportunity for the Falcons’ to continue their early momentum from their first meet in Raleigh, N.C. It was there where they managed to hit an impressive five automatic qualifying marks.

Senior Jeanette Pettigrew hit three of the five automarks, competing in the 100, 200, and long jump events. Redshirt freshman Kori Reiser and senior Tina Perrine also hit automarks in the hammer throw, coming in first and second place respectively.

Other players had good showings as well during the meet.

Freshman sprinter Brianna Johnson finished within the top 10 of the 800 relay, coming in ninth. In the 400 hurdles, redshirt junior Brittany Sinclair finished with a time of 1:03.54, coming within one second short of tying her personal best.

Sophomore Demetra Taylor finished right behind her, coming in with a time of 1:03.83.

Although Pettigrew won’t be participating in the Ohio Cherry Blossom, head coach Lou Snelling says that she’s off to a great start and she’s looking forward to getting to the end of the season.

“In terms of marks, she’s looking to put up some times that will get her in the NCAA,” Snelling said. “She’s already got the automarks in the 100, 200 and the long jump, now it’s about getting towards the first round.”

Snelling also was impressed with Reiser and her results at the Raleigh Relays, saying that he was impressed that she took advantage of the opportunity.

“That was a big step she took at N.C. State because she redshirted her freshman year,” he said. “The outside events are her better events … this was her first opportunity to do her thing and with winning the event, she took advantage of that and it was great to see her do that.”

Although they’re day today with their practices, Snelling says that the Falcons are focusing more on the big picture of making it to Mid-American Conference outdoor championship.

“In terms of our preparation, we’re a little bit less of the week-to-week and more of the big picture in terms of getting ready for the end of season,” Snelling said. “This is it because we transition to the end of the season; we’re trying to get to MAC in the best possible shape and then the NCAA rounds.”

The Ohio Cherry Blossom meet will take place at Ohio University.