Falcons drop doubleheader in Kent State. 

Drake Harlett
Bowling Green, OH – Game 1 Falcons Utility Aaralyn Nogay (28) just laid down a punt for a hit at Meserve Softball Field in Bowling Green, Ohio.

The Bowling Green Falcons dropped both games of a Saturday doubleheader 7-4 and 4-2 against the Kent State Golden Flashes. 

GAME ONE

Both teams were held scoreless in the first inning. Kent State broke the ice in the bottom of the second inning with a two-out  RBI single from Bri Despines to give the Flashes the early 1-0 lead. With a runner on third Despines would get caught in a run down that allowed the runner to score and put the Flashes up 2-0. 

The Falcons fought back in the top of the third inning. A few walks and an error led to the Orange and Brown having the bases loaded with two outs for Scarlet Anderson. Anderson attacked the RBI opportunity with a single to center field to score two runs and tie the game up at 2- 2. 

In the bottom of the third inning, a hit-by-pitch and a single from the flashes led to runners on the corners with no outs. _ then lined a single into right field to score the runner from third and put the Flashes back in front 3-2.  Later in the inning the Flashes loaded up the bases with one out but a nice diving play by Makenna Fry led to a 4-6-3 double play to get the Falcons out of the inning. 

With the momentum on Bowling Green’s side, the Falcons had a runner on second with two outs for Aaralyn Nogay. Nogay then drove a single up the middle to score the runner and tie the game up at 3-3. 

The Golden Flashes continued to take great at-bats to grab the lead for a third time. With a runner on second, Despines hit an RBI double off the wall in center field to put the Flashes back in front 4-3. Later in the inning with runners on first and second, a single from Julia Mazanec led to Despines scoring from second to give the Flashes a 5-3 lead after four innings. 

In the top of the fifth inning, the Falcons put runners on second and third after a leadoff single then an error on the second baseman put the runners in scoring position with one out. Anderson hit a ground ball that scored the runner from the third to make it a 5-4 ball game. 

Anytime the Falcons would build momentum the Golden Flashes would take it right back. With a runner on first base and two outs, Delaney Robeson would hit a two-run home run to extend the Flash’s lead in the bottom of the fifth inning, making it a 7-4 ball game.

Seven runs would be enough as the Flashes kept the Falcons at four runs and secured the 7-4 victory over the Falcons in game one. 

GAME TWO 

The Falcons dropped the second game of the doubleheader 4-1.

The scoring began in the bottom of the second inning when the Golden Flashes got an RBI single from Delaney Robeson to put Kent State up 1-0. 

To start the top of the third inning. The Falcons would get singles from Aaralyn Nogay and Peyton Dolejs. A sacrifice bunt from Taylor Behrendt moved the runners to second and third. Scarlet Anderson then hit a sacrifice fly to score Nogay from third and tie the game up at 1-1. 

In the bottom of the third inning, Kent State was able to load the bases with one out. Megan Claerhout then hit a sacrifice fly to the runner from third and made it a 2-1 lead for the Golden Flashes. 

This game was a pitcher’s duel through the first four innings. Madi Young pitched the first five innings for the Falcons and gave up just five hits and two runs. 

Ellie Price entered the game in the circle in relief for Young. 

Kent State broke the game open in the bottom sixth inning scoring two more runnings after stringing together multiple singles to take a 4-1 lead. 

The Golden Flashes held the Falcons off in the top of the seventh inning and took the 4-1 victory over the Falcons.