Baseball finishes 1-2 in weekend series with Belmont

After a long seven-hour road trip to Tennessee, the antsy Falcons had to wait another day to start their season due to the rain.

The 2014 season began against Belmont University where the team played a double header on Saturday and the third game on Sunday.

In game one, the Falcons were leading 1-0 in the bottom of the 6th inning when the Bruins rallied for two unearned runs to give them a 2-1 lead.

While the Falcons threatened to score in the 7th inning, they were unable to capitalize when pinch hitter Matt Smith grounded out to first base to end the game, giving the Bruins their first win of the a season.

Bowling Green senior pitcher, Cody Apthorpe, started his third consecutive opening day where lasted 5.1 innings on the mound while allowing two unearned runs, three hits and one strikeout.

The Falcons lone run came in 4th inning when left-fielder Andrew Kubuski singled through the left side when T.J. Losby scored which gave the Falcons a 1-0 lead.

After a tough first game loss, the Falcons found themselves victorious in the second game of the double header 8-3.

Bowling Green struck first with scoring the first three runs of the game. The Bruins battled back in the 6th inning with a key two-out, two-run double by Tyler Walsh that tied up the game 3-3.

After the score was tied, the Falcons rallied for five runs in the final three innings scoring one run in the 7th, three times in the 8th and one more in the 9th.

The Falcons tallied a total of 16 hits as well on the day. Both Patrick Lancaster and Brian Bien had three hits on the day. Losby went 2-4, with three RBIS to lead the Falcons.

Pitcher Ben Singer came in relief where he threw 4.2 innings allowing two earned runs, three hits and two strikeouts while earning the win.

The Bruins defeated the Falcons 3-1 in the rubber match on Sunday. This was the second time this weekend where Belmont held Bowling Green to just one run in the series. Despite this, the Falcons scored first in all three games this series.

Andrew Lacinak started on the mound for the Falcons and lasted five innings without allowing a run. The Bruins could only manage three hits against Lacinak during his five innings of work.

The Bruins tied and took the lead in the 6th inning on a Matt Kinney fielder’s choice to make the score 1-1. Tyler Walsh singled to center, while Kinney crossed the plate to give the Bruins a 2-1 lead.

Belmont scored an insurance run to make the score 3-1 in the 7th inning when Spencer Petett singled scoring Jamie Ritchie.

The winning pitcher Patrick McGrath threw seven innings for the Bruins while allowing just one earned run on five hits, and five strikeouts. Greg Brody threw a scoreless inning earning the save. The Falcons’ Devin Daugherty was tagged with the loss.

Bowling Green’s next series will be this upcoming Friday when they travel to Murray State to play another three-game set.