Falcons rally late to swim past Spartans

BGSU women’s swim team.

With BG taking wins in the last two events, it was a close matchup with the Spartans on Friday.

Bowling Green hit the pool this weekend to take on Michigan State in what would be the closest finish in a dual meet this season.

Unable to compete in the diving events, 32 points went to MSU in a meet that was already back and forth throughout the day.

But the Falcons took eight of 16 overall events, rallying at the end to overcome the Spartans in a 150-144 victory.

Head coach Petra Martin was proud of the team and their effort Friday. “Really you could see the difference in the team, you know, some of the things that we’ve been working on in the last couple months,” she said, “and just pulling all those details together and working together as a team it really came through.”

Michigan State took the first two events of the day, but Falcon Victoria Griffin continued her undefeated run with the 200 freestyle in the third event. She later won the 100 freestyle, remaining unbeaten in both dual meet events.

Griffin would also come in second in the 50 freestyle behind teammate Brittany Szekely.

Maya Skorupski went on to claim two individual victories for BG in the 100 and 200 backstrokes. Skorupski finished nearly two seconds before teammate Hannah Newman hit the wall in the 100 yard with a time of 57.87. Fellow Falcons Erica Nieminen and Lara Klein came in second and third in the 200 backstroke behind the freshman swimmer.

Two more individual victories were brought in by Falcon Joëlle Scheps in the 100 butterfly and 200 IM.

The victory by Scheps in the 200 IM sparked the end rally, as the 200 freestyle relay team took first in the last event of the day allowing the Falcons to edge the Spartans by six points overall.

“They’re really hungry, you know,” Martin said. “They’re ready to race and we’re proud of them; they’re doing a great job.”

Bowling Green now sits at 2-3 in dual meets, but has had a successful start to the second half of the season after the recent break.

The team takes on rival Toledo this Friday night for some MAC action at UT.