Baseball: 13 straight for the Chips

Baseball Movies – Photo via PxHere

The Central Michigan University Chippewas baseball team (18-10, 13-1 MAC) has shot out in front of the Mid-American Conference standings, thanks to their impressive 13 game winning streak. The Chips now sit at one game above Ball State (18-12, 12-2 MAC), who has lost two straight games.

CMU swept last place Northern Illinois (6-25, 6-12 MAC) in their four-game series. On Sunday, they played a doubleheader, winning the first game 12-0, and the second 8-5.

In the second game of the doubleheader, to get their 13th straight win, Logan Buczkowski got the ball for the Chips to start the game. Over four innings of work, he would strike out four Huskies batters, while walking two. He finished only allowing one run on three hits.

On the offensive side, the Chips came out of the gate swinging. Capping off the five runs that CMU earned early in the game was a two-run single off the bat of Mario Camilletti. Later in the game, Drew Lechnir would hit a two-run single of his own to put the Chippewas up 8-2. Things got sloppy defensively for Central Michigan, as they committed four errors, leading to two of the last three runs scored by NIU being unearned. Coach Jordan Bischel was still happy with his team’s performance however.

“It wasn’t the prettiest game, but beating a team four times is not easy, it’s really difficult to do, and what I thought was really good was that (NIU) scored a run early and we bounced right back and got the lead back” he said.

Central Michigan will look to extend their winning streak with a four-game series against Bowling Green (9-20, 6-12) this weekend. A Bowling Green team who has had a rough season so far.

Other series from the MAC weekend schedule:

Kent State (12-14, 7-7 MAC) at Toledo (15-16, 9-10 MAC)

Miami (12-18, 8-10 MAC) at Western Michigan (8-19, 6-8 MAC)

Northern Illinois at Oakland (15-15 overall)

Ohio (13-14, 7-9 MAC) at Eastern Michigan (12-16, 8-7 MAC)

Akron (10-21, 8-12 MAC) at Ball State