BG clinches home-series in WCHA playoff

Although the 11th ranked BG hockey team lost to Alaska-Anchorage 6-1 on Saturday night, they clinched a home series in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association playoffs with a number three seed.

The Falcons won 4-3 over the Seawolves on Friday, the team’s 19th win of the season and 15th win in conference play.

The 19 wins are the most ever in Chris Bergeron’s five-year head coaching era at BG. Additionally, this is the fifth consecutive season in which the Falcons have improved their win total under Bergeron.

BG will host a conference opponent — to be determined — for the first round of the WCHA tournament. The best-of-three series will occur on March 13-15 at 7:07 p.m. for all games.

In Friday’s game, Brett D’Andrea scored early in the first period to give BG a 1-0 lead. Dajon Mingo and Nolan Valleau recorded assists on the goal.

Then in the second period, Mitch McClain scored to give the Falcons a 2-0 lead. Sean Walker had an assist on the play.

But, the Seawolves rallied back to tie the game 2-2. Their first goal was scored shorthanded, and their second goal came 35 seconds into the third period.

Adam Berkle added a power play goal at the 6:06 mark in the third period to give the Falcons a 3-2 lead. Sean Walker had another assist on the goal, and Pierre-Luc Mercier also recorded an assist on the play.

But, at the 9:34 mark in the third period, Alaska-Anchorage scored on the power play to tie the game at three. Then, later in regulation, Brandon Hawkins scored to give BG another lead with an assist from Mark Cooper.

BG held on to its third lead of the game, and won 4-3. Tommy Burke recorded 18 saves in the win.

In Saturday’s finale, Alaska-Anchorage jumped out to a 2-0 lead en route to a 6-1 win over the Falcons. Matt Pohlkamp scored BG’s lone goal in the second period.

Brandon Hawkins and Rusty Hafner recorded assists on the goal.

The Seawolves scored two power play goals and one shorthanded goal during the game. BG goalies Tommy Burke and Chris Nell each allowed three goals each, and combined for 25 saves.

With the loss, the Falcons are 19-10-5 overall, 15-8-3 in WCHA play. Alaska-Anchorage improves to 8-20-4 and 5-19-2 in conference play.

BG will finish the regular season at home this weekend against Alabama-Huntsville. Both games will begin at 7:07 p.m. at the BGSU Ice Arena.