Head men’s basketball coach Chris Jans terminated by University

Chris+Jans
Steven W. Echard
Chris Jans

By Cameron Teague Robinson

Editor-in-Chief

The University officially terminated head men’s basketball coach Chris Jans on Thursday after an investigation into his recent public conduct.

The investigation revealed some inappropriate conduct Chris Jans had with two women in a local bar on March 21, 2015.

“An obligation of your employment as the Head Coach of the Men’s basketball team at the University was that you refrain from any activity or conduct that has the purpose or effect of reflecting unfavorably on the University, or causing embarrassment to the University, or otherwise detracting from its reputation, the reputation of the University’s athletic program, or the reputation of the Men’s basketball program,” said Athletic Director Chris Kingston in Jans’ letter of termination.

On the morning of March 22, 2015, Athletic Director Chris Kingston received an email from an eyewitness and University alumnus who was at the bar, describing Jans’ actions.

In one of the emails to Kingston he said, “We don’t want to ruin lives and would like you to handle it internally how you see fit.”

The University went to work on its own investigation and according to Jans’ letter of termination he admitted to his behavior that night and has since apologized and expressed remorse.

The eyewitness took a video of coach Jans that night. That video — seven seconds long — shows him tapping a woman on her buttocks.

That video shows a small portion of what happened that night. Other documents acquired through a public records request by The BG News described the night in detail.

Jans was seen touching two women in a sexual manner. According to the letter of termination he admitted to touching one woman, who he knew, and moving her head toward his body.

He also admitted to tapping a woman on her buttocks, as seen in the video that has since been made public.

The second incident was followed by the eyewitness’ daughter, who is a student-athlete at another university, approaching him and telling him she knew who he was and that he was behaving badly for a head coach.

When the woman approached Jans, he allegedly denied that he was the head coach, but eventually admitted that he was. Jans admitted that after that incident happened the woman went back to her table and he yelled a derogatory term at her.

The letter goes on to say that after the derogatory term was said, people who were at the table with the young woman got up and came to where Jans was standing. The people associated with the men’s basketball program, who were there with Jans, stood between him and the other people.

In the witness’ email to Kingston he said he had more video of what happened after Jans called the witness’ daughter the name, “but we don’t think it’s really helpful,” the witness continued to say. “It’s just people cussing and some pushing people away.”

After that Jans was driven home by an acquaintance.

Kingston ended the letter by saying that the University is not responsible to continue providing any compensation except for performance bonuses already earned prior to April 2, 2015.

“Because of your admitted breach of the comportment obligations of your employment I am terminating your employment for cause effective April 2,2015 at 9:00 a.m.,” Kingston said in the letter. “The University has no obligation to continue any benefits except continuation of health benefits as provided by applicable federal law to you past the effective date of your separation from employment.”

Jans can appeal his termination if he chooses to.