Falcon’s clipped in Detriot

Womens+soccer
Eric Burgasser
Women’s soccer

The Bowling Green State University women’s soccer team dropped their second straight game on Wednesday, losing to Detroit University by a score of 3-1.

The loss drops BG to a record of 2-2, having lost both of their away games this season.

What started off as an aggressive effort by the Falcons quickly changed as the match progressed, and despite scoring the opening goal of the game they allowed three unanswered goals by the Titans. Despite just scoring one goal, it was the fourth straight game the Falcons have had with 10 or more shots taken.

“We played well for 40 minutes and saw a lot of good opportunities on goal,” head coach Lindsay Basalyga said. “Lack of discipline on the defensive side of the game caught up with us and we saw our confidence drop as the game went on.”

BG struck quickly after the game started, jumping to an early lead after Mikaela Couch scored from five yards out off a blocked shot attempt by Skylar Fleak. The goal was Couch’s third of the season, and Fleak was credited with her second assist of the season, which lead the team.

The Titans defense played hard the rest of the half, however, holding the Falcons scoreless for the rest of the half despite 8 first half shots by BG. That included a three-minute stretch from the 23rd to the 26th minute where BG took three shots and two corner kicks. Titans keeper Marina Manzo saved two of those shots.

Detroit’s Tatum Zurawski evened the score at the 41st minute of play, scoring on a free kick she curved from 35 yards out to find the back of the net and get past BG keeper Lauren Cadel. The two teams then went into the half tied 1-1.

The Titan’s carried their momentum from the end of the first half into the second half, locking down the defensive end of the field and not allowing a single BG shot attempt for the first 16 minutes. Detroit then capitalized on the offensive end, as Carley Rice scored against Cadel at the 59th minute and Phylisha Drayton scored at the 73rd minute.

It was a tale of two halves on offense for the Falcons, who took eight shots during the first but only two during the second. The Falcons energy was noticeably anemic, and they failed to capitalize on their early scoring and take control of the game.

“I think we did well during the first twenty minutes by playing our game, finding the gap in between their midfielders and defenders. We got an early goal, which I think helped a lot,” sophomore Rachel Winters said. “But after that, our energy kind of went down and we didn’t play as if we were up one-nothing.”