Be thankful for connections both at home and away

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving break.

Thanksgiving is the time where you spend time with your family and reminisce on what you are truly thankful for. We should all take this time go over what we are thankful for.

What I’m thankful for, you may ask?

Well first, I’m thankful to be alive because there are so many people in the world who don‘t get the privilege to wake up each day. I’m so grateful for life and being able to breathe.

Another thing I’m thankful for is my family. Even though the number of immediate family I have is small, I’m thankful for them. I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for my mother and grandma who basically raised me since birth.

Another thing I am thankful for are my friends. I’ve made so many friends here at BG. I’ve had to weave through tons of fake and fair-weather friends here to get to the real ones and see who stayed around and who truly cares about my well being.

I am thankful for my SEARCH community, a community on the Ground floor of McDonald Hall. They have been there with me since I first arrived here at BG.

Another group, Cru, which is a Christian outreach group on campus. I have done so many things with the people of Cru and they have always welcomed me with open arms and have supported me through a lot of things like SEARCH has.

Last, but certainly not least, I was recently initiated into Alpha Phi Omega, a National Co-ed Fraternity. We represent Leadership, Friendship, and Service. I love every single person that I have met through this great fraternity. We are such a huge chapter that I’m still making my way to get to know people in the fraternity. APO is composed of many great people, including an awesome exec council, my amazing big, great friends, and my super chill Pledge Class.

This is just the beginning for me. There’s still so many people in APO that I want to know on a more individual and personal level. Knowing more about a person is how friendships strengthen, and I want to have strong friendships with all my fellow members of Alpha Phi Omega. I’ll always be APhiO!

Overall, I have had some bad moments here, but I think all the good people I’ve met in SEARCH, Cru, and Alpha Phi Omega outweigh all the bad experiences at BG. Sometimes, you may go through college and have a few bad experiences that might make you wanna transfer and get away from the bad as much as possible. But sometimes, all it takes is for you to finally find a place and see where you belong. Every college has a group for everyone, or at least it SHOULD have. You may be a jock, nerd, or a geek. You may be a sports team player, video game player, band player, or all of the above. I am one of the unique ones as I don’t define as one single label.

I feel like that’s what drew me to these three organizations here at Bowling Green State University. If you’re looking for a place and a group where you can call your home, then I highly suggest you check out all three organizations. You never know what you might find or who you may connect with.

Life is truly something to be thankful for because we’re constantly learning from our mistakes, and that should be something that we all should be thankful for!

Respond to Torrance

at [email protected]